Monday, 8 February 2016

P2(b) Following Shooting Script/Storyboard

Meaning and purpose:
By having pre-production material such as the storyboard, script I was able to successfully follow a plan so that I knew exactly what to do for my film opening. I knew exactly where I wanted to film, how I wanted to film, what equipment to use, actors and actresses involved etc.

Following the Storyboard:

This shows that I followed the storyboard by capturing a long shot of the woods and field. I used the Canon 18-55mm zoom f/3.5-5.6 mf/af (wide angle) as this was best for scenery shots such as this one. I used a long-shot as well as a pan-shot with these lens to capture the whole of the scenery to help the audience get an idea of the setting, this was made possible by the wide angle lens which helped me cover a lot of ground when filming this short clip. By using a tripod, the camera was also steady and not shaking when I took the pan shot, it also helped me position the camera correctly so that half of the picture was the sky and the tree tops and the other half was the grass and bottom of the trees. This gave the affect of a very atmospheric shot.
This shot was meaningful as it set the scene at the beginning of the film and by showing this show the audience knew that this setting would have significant importance later on in the film which gave a sense of tension at the start of the film opening.




 This shows that I am following the storyboard by capturing a medium close-up of Ben asleep in bed. I used the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mf/af for a human eye effect. By using a medium close-up and these lens which give a human eye effect, the affect results in a more realistic shot and the audience get an idea of who the main character will be at the start of the film opening. I used the tripod so that I had a nice and steady shot rather than the camera shaking. This meant that the audience could fully focus on the main subject, Ben. This shot was meaningful because it shows Ben at peace asleep before he is woken up by his mean mother shouting at him. The audience from then on know that his home life is poor and have a sense of 'feeling sorry' for Ben's character. 


 This shows that I am following the storyboard by capturing a medium show of Ben getting out of Bed, even though it was from a different angle as the wardrobe was in the way to get a front on shot, this worked just as well. I used the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mf/af for a human eye effect. By using a medium shot of Ben getting out of bed as well as the lens which give a human eye effect, I have a more realistic affect. The angle at which I filmed this clip meant that the audience could see more of the bedroom meaning they had more of an idea of the type of setting. They can also see that the room is slightly plain and dull for a young boy showing that he is not like a normal young boy who would have posters and toys laying around etc. I used a tripod so that the camera was steady and still and not shaking so the audience can focus on the setting. I also wanted a variety of different shots of the bedroom so that the audience can get more of an idea of the setting as well as making it more interesting. This shot is meaningful because it shows another angle of Ben getting up from bed, by having different angles the audience can connect and notice Ben's facial expressions and body movements showing that he is not happy. 


This shows that I am following the storyboard by capturing a medium shot of Ben walking downstairs, I shot it at a slightly different angle as this looked best when taking a variety of different angled shots. I used the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mf/af for a human eye effect. The human eye effect lens helps the shot to look more realistic. I also used a medium shot to get more of the setting in the shot to help the audience familiarise themselves more with the location. The tripod I used help the shot to be steady and still so that the audience can focus on Ben walking downstairs. I also used a close-up shot of Ben's feet walking downstairs front on for a variety of shots to make it more interesting. This shot is meaningful because it shows Ben walking downstairs obeying his mother, showing the audience that he does what he is told even if he doesn't want to. The audience can start to figure out that Ben is slowly getting fed up. 


 This shows that I am using the storyboard by capturing a medium shot of the dog by the backdoor. I used the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mf/af for a human eye effect. The medium shot gives the audience a better idea of the setting and the human eye effect lens give a more realistic effect. I used the tripod for a more steady shot, I also started filming Martha at the bottom of the door and moved the camera to see the window to help the audience have more of an idea of the setting again, where they can see the back garden through the window. This shows that Martha is wanting to go outside. This shot is meaningful because Ben's mother has just shouted at him to let the dog out, by showing Martha by the door the audience know that Ben is about to let her out and that he does a lot of the house work which is wrong, as his parents should be there for him in which they are not. 

 This shows that I am using the storyboard by capturing a medium shot of Ben opening the backdoor. I used the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mf/af for a human eye effect. I used a medium shot in order to capture most of the door being opened and a human eye effect lens to give a more realistic shot. The medium shot gives the audience more of an idea of the setting as they are able to see more of the location. This shot is meaningful as it shows Ben opening the door for Martha, by the look of his body language walking towards the door the audience can see that he is not happy. 

 This shows that I am using the storyboard by capturing an outside medium shot of Ben opening the door for the dog. I used the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mf/af for a human eye effect. The Medium shot once again is used to capture more of the atmosphere so the audience have more of an idea of the location and setting. the human eye effect, again is for a realistic shot. This shot is meaningful as you see Martha running out fast as if she has not been let outside for a while. This shows that Ben does all the house work without any help from his parents. 

 This shows that I am using the storyboard by capturing a medium shot of Ben walking into the kitchen. Here I am using the Canon 18-55mm zoom f/3.5-5.6 mf/af for a wide angle of the kitchen.The medium shot is to capture a fair amount of the location so the audience have more of an idea of the kitchen. They can see that it is fairly messy which is significant as this gives them an idea of Ben's home life. The Wide angle lens was beneficial as it gave the affect of a larger perceptual field of the kitchen so the audience can see more clearly.This shot is very meaningful as it shows the messy kitchen full of alcohol and pills, Ben walks over to the counter and sighs showing the audience his poor home life and they start to feel sorry for him.

 This shows that I am using the storyboard to capture a medium close-up of Ben looking at the dirty dishes in the sink. Here I am using the Canon 18-55mm zoom f/3.5-5.6 mf/af for a wide angle of the kitchen. Once again I am using the wide angle lens to capture more of the location in my shot, you can see more clearly all the alcohol bottles and dirty dishes laying around on the kitchen counter and in the sink. The medium close-up was used fora clearer image of Ben attempting to tidy up, this shows the audience that his home life is not great and that his parents are not there for him.This shot is meaningful as it shows Ben tidying up after his parents. It also makes the audience feel sorry for him as he is still so young but is tidying up pills and alcohol which is not right for a boy his age.




This shows that I am using the storyboard to capture a medium shot of Ben running upstairs. I used the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mf/af for a human eye effect. I used a medium shot to capture more of the location. I used human eye effect lens for a more realistic shot. I also used a tripod so that the camera  was steady and not shaking so the audience can purely focus on Ben running back upstairs. This shot is meaningful as it shows Ben done with home life and is running upstairs to pack his bag and leave forever. 


 This shows that I am using the storyboard by capturing a long shot of Ben finding a log to sit on in the woods. Here I am using Canon EF 85mm fixed f/1.8 USM medium telephoto mf/af for focus pulls. I used a long shot because I wanted to show the audience more of the location in which Ben is in, they can get more of an idea of the kind of setting he is in. I also wanted them to clearly see Ben finding somewhere to sit. I used the lens best for focus pulls because I wanted the affect of Ben and Martha being slightly out of focus while the background is slightly more focused so that the audience direct their attention on the atmosphere. This shot is meaningful as it shows Ben finally finding somewhere to sit in the middle of the woods on his own. The audience begin to feel very sorry for him and wonder what he will do next.
This shows that I am using the storyboard by capturing a shot of Ben running away on the field by the woods into the distance. Here I am using Canon EF 85mm fixed f/1.8 USM medium telephoto mf/af for focus pulls. I wanted a medium shot so that the audience can see most of the location but are also still able to focus on Ben and Martha running. I used the lens best for focus pulls because I wanted the affect of Ben and Martha being slightly out of focus while the background was in focus, the reason I did this was because I wanted more of an affect of Ben and Martha running, which was created by them being out of focus. This shot is meaningful as it shows Ben finally giving up home life and running away, this is one of the last shots of the film opening and leaves the audience on a cliffhanger as they do not know where he is running too. This will leave them wanting to know more which is the main purpose of a film opening.


Following the script:
Here is part of the script matched with how I used it in my film opening:


 This shows that I am following the script, where I have captured a long shot of blean woods for the start of my film opening to set the scene. Slow music is playing here.
 Here I am using the script where I have captured a shot of Ben asleep, when there is a background voice shouting at him to wake up. Once Ben wakes up the music slowly begins to stop.
 Here I am following the script by capturing a shot of Ben walking downstairs after he has woken up. Slow music begins to play again as Ben gets out of Bed and walks downstairs.
 Here I am following the script by capturing a shot of Ben at the sink, again being shouted at by a background voice. At this point Ben is growing more angered. Music stops as voice in background shouts at Ben.
 Here I am following the script by capturing a shot of Ben back upstairs in his room packing his backpack ready to run away. Tense music begins to play as Ben is packing to leave forever.


Here I am following the script by capturing a shot of Ben leaving the house and slamming the door behind him, running away with Martha. Tense music is still playing as he leaves the house and runs away.








No comments:

Post a Comment