Monday, 8 February 2016

P2(a) Setting Up equipment

Meaning and purpose: By knowing exactly what equipment I needed to use and how to set it up this enabled me to capture the most effective shots because I had planned out where different equipment would be within each shot. I also knew exactly what camera and lenses I would use for different shots so that I had a wide variety and could choose from the best one.


The equipment I used was borrowed from Kent College Media department, so I filled out a booking sheet to use the required equipment needed for my film opening:



Lighting - For the lighting in my film opening I was not in a studio so I did not use any studio lighting. All I used for my film opening was the natural light. For most of my opening, I was either filming outside or in a room filled with windows so the natural light was all I needed. This also gave it a more realistic edge to it. Also because my film is quite mysterious and is a drama, If I had used additional lighting, it would have been too bright and would have taken away that dark, mysterious tension lasting throughout the film opening. Inside home lighting was sometimes used, but to reduce the yellow effect it can sometimes give I will use colour correction when editing on premier pro to make it darker to fit the film genre.

Canon 7D DSLR Camera + Battery:



I chose the Canon 7D DSLR Camera simply because I am most comfortable when using it as I find it easy to use and it gives great image quality and good HD video. It also allows you to take high definition videos ad has a wide variety of settings to ensure I got the exact footage I needed. I am also very familiar with how the Canon camera works making it more easy to use when shooting my film opening. You are able to use a range of lens which provides you with the ability to achieve a cinematic look to the film opening.

Lenses:
Canon 18-55mm zoom f/3.5-5.6 mf/af (wide angle):

I chose this lens for part of my film opening because it gives a good wide angle, this enabled me to film a range of distances with a wide picture and I was able to capture a large environment when filming a scenery, such as when I was filming the woods and field and the beginning and throughout the film to set the scene as shown in the image below:

Canon EF 85mm fixed f/1.8 USM medium telephoto mf/af:

I chose this lens for my film opening because it is good for racking photos, but more importantly it is great for focus pulls which I wanted to create when Oliver is in the woods with the background out of focus while he is in focus or vice versa. As shown in the image below, the back of Oliver is in focus as he is walking past the camera and the background of the woods is out of focus. 



Canon 50mm f/1.8 mf/af (human eye effect)

The reason I chose this lens is because it is great for a human eye effect which for most of my film opening was my aim. I wanted it to look as realistic as possible as well as mysterious, and with a human eye effect this made it possible. This lens was used mostly for when I was filming inside the house, for example the sink in the kitchen or when Oliver is asleep in bed as shown in the images below:



Velbon DV6000 tripod + Carry bag :

I used the Velbon DV6000 tripod as it suited the way I was filming for my film opening the best. It has a quick release platform, and a geared column with lockable braced 3 second legs for maximum stability meaning it will not shake when I am filming. Where I wanted to film with lots of different angles to make the film opening more interesting this allowed me to do that from shooting for over the should, to filming lower to the ground and filming high up. I used the carry bag, because I was constantly moving the equipment around, from going upstairs to downstairs as well as having to carry it all to the woods and back, I always used the carry bag when moving to different locations so that it did not get damaged. 

Canon Camera bag:
The importance of using a camera bag, is that when I move to different locations when filming it ensures that the camera will not get damaged and will also be easier to carry around. 

Rode VideoMic - R shotgun


The importance of this, was that when I connected it to the Canon 7D camera I did not have to worry about the volume being too low. This made sure that everything could be heard clearly.





No comments:

Post a Comment